The main idea of this project “GREY BALLET” is to keep all the recordings and content real and spontaneous as possible. So that you get to hear the raw aspects of the creation. The recording is done personally at home. You can hear me breathing and my toe tapping slipper in “WORTH LEAVING BEHIND.” Talk about give life to a song.
All the instruments composed and performed by yours truly, except for the drums. The drum program that I used is open source and available free on line. However, let me add hear that I am not a fan of drum machines because of their …well being not real. To solve this dilemma, I created a technique that I call “PAINTING WITH WAVES”.
I tried to stick to a few rules while doing this project and they were;
- Nothing is over rehearsed. Perfection is an illusion. It doesn’t exist in nature and especially not in man.
- Spontaneity is key (pardon the pun) so solos are the result of improvisation on a sketched out idea. Most bass lines as well. Avoided perfecting anything as much as possible.
- It must be interesting both rhythmically and melodically.
- Minimalist instrumentation. Usually not more than 4. Sometimes as few as 1.
- Let someone else make the perfect recording (see #1)